Contributed by: Dr. Akilesh & Dr. Tamhankar
ITS TIME TO AWAKE, BE THE CHANGEAWAKE (Awareness Week on Antibiotic Knowledge and Education) is an initiative of EARS, a non profit, non Govt organization to create week long awarness compaign (15th to 22rd November, 2014) in India.
The objective of this endeavour is:
- Educating public and healthcare providers about rational use of antibiotics
- Spreading awareness about the rising antimicrobial resistance
- Promoting hygiene and sanitation as a step towards stopping spread of resistance
- If you are a healthcare provider, take a pledge that you would not prescribe antibiotics irrationally. You can organize seminars / talks / send SMS / Emails to your colleagues and peers to avoid antibiotic abuse.
- If you are a patient / caregiver / non-medico you can take a pledge that you would NOT permit self-prescriptions of antibiotics. Also patient / caregivers should make it a point to discuss with your healthcare provider whenever being prescribed antibiotics.
US, Canada and Australia - Antibiotic Awareness Week, November 17-23